WELCOME TO THE EDUCATOR PREPARATION PROGRAM
Texas A&M University-San Antonio's College of Education & Human Development is committed to educational opportunities toward the completion of baccalaureate and graduate degree programs in San Antonio. Located on the south side of the city, the College of Education and Human Development is committed to serving the needs of the region by preparing qualified professionals to assume positions of responsibility and leadership in a global society.
The goals of the Educator Preparation Program are to:
- Link theory to practice
- Develop awareness and skills of teaching as a reflective process
- Develop knowledge and skills of the teachers as decision makers within a learner-centered educational community
- Develop proficiency in classroom management and assessment
- Develop, implement and integrate pedagogy and content knowledge
- Exhibit professionalism among all participants in the school setting
- Develop a desire for lifelong learning
- Support beginning teachers in a way that encourages continuance in the profession
Goal 1: Academic Access
- To construct a seamless pipeline of post-secondary education through clear-cut articulation of policies and programs
- To facilitate the transfer of academic college credits toward completion of baccalaureate degrees
- To expand the education career opportunities of under-served, culturally diverse populations in south Texas
Goal 2: Educational Excellence
- To develop diverse and innovative academic programs with a high degree of quality and relevance
- To promote both the life-long educational and professional achievement of individuals as well as contribute to the social, cultural, and economic development of the community
"It is the supreme art of the teacher to awaken joy in creative expression and knowledge."
The Educator Preparation and Program is responsible for insuring field experience and testing requirements are completed for educator certifications offered at Texas A&M University-San Antonio, including:
- Undergraduate Teacher Certification
- Graduate Teacher Alternative Certification
- Professional Certifications
- Elementary- EC-6 Generalist, EC-6 Bilingual, 4-8 Generalist, 4-8 Content areas, and ESL endorsements
- Secondary - Specific content areas such as Math, Composite Science, Composite Social Studies, Biology, etc.
- All Level - Physical Education and Special Education
- Professional - Reading Specialist, Ed. Diagnostician, Principal, School Counselor, Superintendent
Undergraduate Teacher Certification Program
Starting a career in TEACHING! Our University's Teacher Certification program has options to fit your schedule. Through mentoring, model teaching, professional development, and internships, you will have an opportunity to exercise and refine the skills learned from your university coursework and educational program.
Graduate Teacher Certification Program
Interested in starting a new career in TEACHING! Our University's Graduate Teacher Certification program is very affordable and highly successful. Call and let us put you in the driver's seat along with a roadmap towards your new profession!
Professional Certification Program
The Department of Leadership and Counseling is committed to extending the knowledge base of educational leadership and counseling through a combination of scholarly inquiry, reflective practices and student centered learning. The faculty and staff are dedicated to preparing educational leaders and counselors to meet the challenges of a growing and diverse community.