International Student Health Insurance
- If you don’t have insurance, there is NO ACTION to take. You will be automatically enrolled in the System Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) through AHP, and the charge will be applied to your student account.
- If you have your own insurance, follow the instructions below to submit evidence of your alternate health insurance coverage.
The SUMMER WAIVER isa expected to go live on April 19, 2019.
International students who are not employed in graduate assistant positions entitling them to coverage under the system employee group health insurance program (SHIP) must be automatically enrolled in the SHIP. This requirement will be waived for international students under the following circumstances:
- Student is sponsored by the United States government.
- Student is sponsored by a foreign government recognized by the United States or certain international, government-sponsored or non-governmental organizations, and covered under a health plan that is compliant with the Affordable Care Act (ACA). If the health plan does not include medical evacuation and repatriation, a rider must be purchased providing coverage at equal limits to the SHIP.
- Student is enrolled in an employer-provided group health plan that is compliant with the ACA. If the health plan does not include medical evacuation and repatriation, a rider must be purchased providing coverage at equal limits to the SHIP.
Waiving Insurance Instructions
- Have an electronic copy of your current insurance card, Policy Document in English (including benefits and exclusions), and proof of Medical Evacuation and Repatriation Coverage (if you have this coverage) available.
- Go to https://tamusa.myahpcare.com
- Select the 'Waiver' tab> Select the link to continue
- Login to the waiver system by using the following:
- Login-your Texas A&M- San Antonio Student ID Number;
- Password-the password you chose when you registered.
- Once the registration page “Register” button is selected (and all the required fields are entered), it will take you to the waiver system home page (dashboard page).
- Also at this point, the waiver system will send an auto-generated registration email reminding that the waiver process is not completed yet, along with the steps to complete your waiver submission.
- Select the red waiver button from the “No, I do not want the insurance."
- You will be required to attach your insurance information and other documents:
- A scanned copy of the front and back of your current health insurance ID card indicating you are a covered member
- A scanned copy of your complete policy, including exclusions & limitations and dependent coverage.
- Policy provides the essential minimum benefits required by the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA) with no annual limits.
- Policies annual deductible of no more than U.S. $500 (except for employer plans).
- Policies contains no exclusions for pre-existing conditions.
- Proof of repatriation expenses in the amount of no less than $25,000.
- Proof of expenses associated with the medical evacuation of the insured to the insured’s home country of no less than $50,000.
ID cards will be mailed to new students only. Students who were enrolled in coverage for a previous semester will not get a new ID card. New ID cards can be ordered by calling Customer Service, or thru the website, BAM.
NOTE: If you do not submit a waiver OR if you missed the waiver deadline to be approved, then you will be automatically enrolled in the System Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) through AHP, and the charge will be applied to your student account.
Contact Academic Health Plan (AHP) at:
Academic Health Plans, Inc.
3500 William D. Tate Ave. Suite 200
Grapevine, TX 76051
Phone: (877) 624-7911
Fax: (817) 479-2101