International Student Health Insurance
- If you don’t have insurance, there is NO ACTION to take. You will be automatically enrolled in the System Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) through AHP, and the charge will be applied to your student account.
- If you have your own insurance, follow the instructions below to submit evidence of your alternate health insurance coverage.
Waiver Deadline for fall is August 28, 2017
International students who are not employed in graduate assistant positions entitling them to coverage under the system employee group health insurance program must be automatically enrolled in the SSHIP. This requirement will be waived for international students under the following circumstances:
- Student is sponsored by the United States government;
- Student is sponsored by a foreign government recognized by the United States or certain international, government-sponsored or non-governmental organizations, and covered under a health plan that is compliant with the Affordable Care Act (ACA). If the health plan does not include medical evacuation and repatriation, a rider must be purchased providing coverage at equal limits to the SSHIP;
- Student is enrolled in an employer-provided group health plan that is compliant with the ACA. If the health plan does not include medical evacuation & repatriation, a rider must be purchased with coverage at equal limits to the SSHIP.
Waiving Insurance Instructions
- Have an electronic copy of your current insurance card, Policy Document in English (including benefits and exclusions), and proof of Medical Evacuation and Repatriation Coverage (if you have this coverage) available.
- Go to https://tamusa.myahpcare.com/
- Select the 'Waiver' tab> Select the link to continue
- Login to the waiver system by using the following:
- Login – your Texas A&M- San Antonio Student ID Number
- Password - the password you chose when you registered.
- If this is a new account, the student will select the " New Student Registration" link be taken to a form to their demographic information.
- On the waiver home page, click on the waiver link found under the “Submit Waiver” section.
- Enter your insurance information and attach your proof documents.
Acquire the following scanned documents before clicking below to submit your waiver information:
- A scanned copy of the front and back of your health insurance ID card indicating you are a covered member.
- A scanned copy of your complete policy, including exclusions & limitations and dependent coverage.
j . Select the ‘Submit Waiver’ button at the bottom of the waiver form.
NOTE: If you do not submit a waiver OR if you missed the waiver deadline to be approved, then you will be automatically enrolled in the System Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) through AHP, and the charge will be applied to your student account.
Contact Academic Health Plan (AHP) at:
Academic Health Plans, Inc.
3500 William D. Tate Ave. Suite 200
Grapevine, TX 76051