Pregnant and Parenting Students
Under Title IX, sex discrimination – including discrimination on the basis of a student’s pregnancy, childbirth, false pregnancy, termination of pregnancy or recovery from any of these – is prohibited in educational programs and activities. This means:
- The university does not exclude or limit the participation of pregnant students or students who have been pregnant in its programs on either of those bases.
- Just like any student with a temporary disability that may require special services, assistance is available to a pregnant student through Disability Support Services located in the Central Academic Building, Suite 210.
- The university excuses a student’s absences due to pregnancy and related events for as long as the student’s doctor deems the absences medically necessary. When the student return, she is regarded with the same status as before her medical leave began and given the opportunity to make up work or exams missed while on leave.
- New mothers are afforded reasonable break periods during educational programs and activities, including classes, to express milk or nurse as needed without penalty.
Baby-changing stations are located in:
- Women’s Restroom – West Wing, Central Academic Building;
- Women’s Restroom – North & South Wings, Senator Frank Madla Building;
- Men’s Restroom – North & South Wings, Senator Frank Madla Building
Lactation stations are located in:
- Female Locker Area – South Wing (around the corner from Student Business Services Office); Senator Frank L. Madla Building
- Inset hallway next to Cafeteria – Central Academic Building, East Wing