Expanding A&M-San Antoino's fraternity and sorority life
By University Communications
Friday, 06 16 2017
Expanding A&M-San Antonio's fraternity and sorority life
Dear members of the A&M-San Antonio community:
Texas A&M University-San Antonio is taking steps to grow our current fraternity and sorority life community by convening the Fraternity/ Sorority Expansion Committee. The purpose of this committee is to ensure that the expansion of fraternity and sorority life at A&M-San Antonio is conducive to the mission and values of the University.
The committee includes:
- Cristina Dominguez, student activities coordinator
- Dr. Melissa Mahan, VP for Student Affairs
- Jo Anna Benavides Franke, AVP for Student Engagement and Success
- Cheryl Le Gras, student activities director
- Dr. Sherita Love, staff representative
- Douglas Carter, faculty representative
- Joe Garza, Omega Delta Phi Inc. student representative
- Destini Dickey, Sigma Delta Lambda Inc. student representative
A&M-SA currently has two Greek organizations on campus. One is a North American Interfraternity Conference (NIC) group, Omega Delta Phi. The other is a local multicultural sorority, Sigma Delta Lambda. Both chapters were chartered in 2012.
The goal of the fraternity/sorority expansion process is to invite two sororities and two fraternities to establish chapters on our campus. We sent notification letters to national umbrella groups and organizations that had previously expressed interest. We notified them of the opportunity to submit a letter of interest to join the A&M-SA fraternity and sorority community.
Following is the timeline of key milestones for this effort:
- June 13 - A&M-San Antonio's expansion of fraternity and sorority life begins. Letters sent to all national Greek councils with official announcement.
- August 1 - Deadline for fraternities and sororities to confirm an interest and commit to the process.
- August 31 - Deadline to receive information packets from interested organizations.
- September - November: Committee will review packets. Then, selected organizations will be notified and invited to make a formal presentation to the student body.
- Spring 2018 - On-campus presentations.
- April 2018 - Committee makes final selection and organizations are notified.
- Fall 2018 - Organizations begin "colonization."
If you have questions about the process, please contact Cristina Dominguez, student activities coordinator, at (210) 784-1388.