Fall 2017 Parking Update
By University Communications
Friday, 08 04 2017
Fall 2017 Parking Updates
Dear members of the A&M-San Antonio community:
Texas A&M University-San Antonio is building a new parking lot west of campus, Lot #3. This lot will provide an additional 1,072 parking spaces for students, faculty and staff.
Additionally, we are adjusting parking to support the opening of our first on-campus residence hall, Esperanza Hall. To accommodate the changing landscape on campus, modifications to parking will begin on Monday, August 14, 2017 and will not impact the price of parking permits.
On Monday, August 14, the following changes will occur:
- Lot #1 will remain the same (faculty/staff/visitors/ADA parking).
- Lot #2 will remain for the use of any students, faculty and staff with a current permit. The amount of visitor-labeled spaces will double as well as the amount of ADA parking spaces. Doubling the ADA spaces in Lot #2 accounts for the added spaces in Lot #3. Lot #2 also has designated motorcycle parking (see map).
- Lot #3 is being constructed in phases to serve students, faculty and staff with a current permit. This lot will also have designated motorcycle parking (see map). There will be no ADA spaces in this lot. All ADA permit holders will be directed to park in Lot #2 as it is closer to the campus buildings.
- Phase 1 & 2 of Lot #3 were consolidated thanks to favorable weather conditions. We will have 1,072 parking spaces ready for use on August 14, 2017. You will see signs and officers in the lots and streets to help direct you to this new lot.
- Phase 3 includes the completion of the bridge and walkway connecting and running through Lot #2. The expected completion date is October 2017. Until phase 3 is complete, a sidewalk has been installed for your use (see red line near Verano Parkway on map). We will have temporary lighting units in the lot until the permanent lights are installed. Emergency blue phones will also be installed.
- Phase 4 will be the addition of a south road that connects Lots #2 and #3 without needing to go back though the intersections on Verano Parkway, pending funding.
- Resident parking for Esperanza Hall will be in the east slip lanes of Verano (both north and south side of Verano). This will provide 59 spaces for residents and will be reserved for them 24/7. Any overflow will be directed to Lots 2 and 3.
Upcoming safety items:
- New stop signs will be installed on Verano Parkway at the entrance to Lot #2 and Lot #3, creating new three-way stops.
- New signs will be installed reminding drivers to yield the right of way to pedestrians.
- New signs will be installed reminding pedestrians to use crosswalks.
The University will continue to exceed the required number of ADA spaces:
- Lot #1 - 204 spaces requires seven ADA spaces. Lot #1 provides 15 spaces.
- Lot #2 - 780 spaces requires 16 ADA spaces. Lot #2 currently provides 37 spaces.
- Lot #3 - 1,072 spaces requires 21 ADA spaces. There will be no ADA spaces in Lot #3. The ADA requires a total of 37 spaces in Lot #2 when combining the needs from Lot #3. As mentioned above, that number of spaces is already available. Nonetheless, we will be adding an additional 39 ADA spaces to Lot #2 for a total of 76 ADA spaces to cover the needs for Lot #2 and Lot #3, exceeding the requirements for both lots.