State Employee Charitable Campaign (SECC) is On!
By University Communications
Monday, 09 17 2018
Dear A&M-SA Faculty and Staff:
The 2018 State Employees Charitable Campaign (SECC) has begun and will run through November 1. This annual program encourages state employees to give back by contributing to a non-profit organization of their choice. Last year, we had 25 percent participation and raised $23,000 which provided support to a variety of community organizations and impacted a myriad of charitable causes. We hope you will consider making a charitable contribution to a cause you feel passionate about. For your convenience, gifts may be deducted directly from your paycheck and sent to the organization(s) of your choice. The University's 2018 goals are 40 percent participation and $30,000 in contributions.
Why Should I Give?
- It helps those who are less fortunate through no fault of their own
- It supports a favorite cause or charity on a regular basis
- It makes A&M-SA a strong community partner
- It is tax deductible
- It makes you feel great!
Examples of Impact My Gift Will Provide
$20 PER MONTH for one year:
- Provides food for one guide dog in advanced training.
- Buys six cases of non-latex gloves to keep volunteers safe during beach cleanups.
- Provides a full year of groceries for a homebound AIDS patient.
- Supports training in an environmental career for a person with a disability.
$10 PER MONTH for one year:
- Screens one uninsured woman for breast cancer.
- Pays for a veteran's occupational certification to find employment.
- Underwrites free museum admission for 30 students.
- Will help a family in crisis with their monthly utility or grocery bills.
$5 PER MONTH for one year:
- Sponsors eyes exams for two children in need.
- Provides 12 students with an interactive CD on college-age depression and suicide.
- Covers the registration fee for one patient or family member to attend the National Organization for Rare Disorders Patient/Family Conference.
- Underwrites equipment and supplies for five people to spend a morning cleaning a beach or river bank.
How do I Give?
To make a gift, visit https://sso.tamus.edu and select SECC Enrollment, then the recipient(s) and the amount of your contribution(s).
How Much Should I Give?
How much you give is totally up to you. You might consider one of the standards used in campaigns like this, which is GIVING A HALF HOUR'S PAY PER MONTH, usually calculated as 0.003 percent of your annual salary. (Example, $30,000 annual salary x 0.003 = $90 annually or $7.50 monthly). Give what you feel is appropriate for you and your budget. Any gift, no matter how large or small, will make a difference to the many charities being helped by this campaign. All deductions begin with the first pay date in January 2019.
Are There Prizes for Giving?
Yes! To create excitement and boost contributions, when you make a gift to SECC, you will be entered into the Early Bird Drawing, the Final Drawing or both if you meet the drawing deadlines below. Please note that only gifts given through SECC will enter you into the drawings.
When are the Drawing Deadlines?
Early Bird Drawing - you will receive one entry in the drawing if you contribute by October 5. The drawing will be held on October 8, 2018.
Final Drawing - you will receive one entry in the drawing if you contribute by November 1. The drawing will be held on November 2, 2018.
You Can Win the Following:
A list of prizes committed to date include:
- Whataburger for a Year
- Santikos Entertainment movie tickets, food and beverage vouchers
- Alamo Drafthouse movie tickets, food and beverage vouchers
- H-E-B gift cards
- Six Flags Fiesta Texas Tickets and Gift Baskets
- Keurig Coffee Maker
- Chartwells Dining Cards
- Stay tuned for more exciting prizes
Your generous support will help so many of our local non-profit organizations to continue the good work they are doing. If you have any questions about the SECC campaign, please contact Anthony Medina at (210) 784-1119 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for your support of the SECC!