Frequently Asked Questions for Texas A&M University-San Antonio Grievance Process

What is a grievance?

A grievance is a University complaint that can be filed by a community member regarding any student, student organization, department, faculty member, or staff member. This can be a complaint or a student code of conduct violation.

Back to Top

I have a complaint regarding a faculty member. What should I do?

It is highly suggested that students direct any problems or difficulties they encounter in class or with a faculty member directly with the faculty member first.  After, if appropriate resolution was not found, then a student can file a grievance regarding a faculty member in two ways:

1)     File Grievance with OSRR: OSRR will forward the report to the Chair of the College the grievance originated from and act as an objective third party member in the grievance process to find a resolution

2)     File a Grievance with the Chair of the College the Grievance Originated from (College of Business, College of Education, or College of Arts and Sciences): Students can directly contact the Chair of their College at Texas A&M University- San Antonio.

Back to Top

How do I file a grievance?

In our efforts to promote a campus climate of integrity and excellence, we encourage all students to initially address their complaints directly with all appropriate parties involved in a dispute. If you find that a resolution was not achieved through your own investigative techniques, OSRR can help. We are readily available to assist with grievances filed by investigating claims and seeking an appropriate resolution through our online system, Advocate.

Back to Top

What if I want to stay anonymous?

If the complainant wishes to remain anonymous, the university will take all reasonable steps to investigate without disclosing the name of the complainant to the extent allowed by state and federal law. If the complainant wishes to remain anonymous, the universities ability to investigate and otherwise respond to or address any allegation will be limited.

Back to Top

How long after an incident should I submit a grievance?

The grievance should be submitted via Advocate within 30 days from the date of the alleged incident. If a complaint is submitted after the deadline, a determination on whether to process the report will be considered on a case-by-case basis by OSRR.

Back to Top

Will my grievance become part of my student records?

Privacy is paramount so information collected as part of a student complaint will be kept in a confidential and in the OSRR office, and will not be considered as part of the student’s Academic Student File.

Back to Top

I want to file a grade appeal. Who should I contact?

If a student has a dispute about a final grade tyhat did not involve academic misconduct, they must follow the Academic Dispute Policy outlined in the Student Handbook. This Policy states that if a student wants to appeal an academic decision, they must follow an academic appeal process.  Please note, OSRR does not review or pursue academic performance issues.

This appeal should be submitted with in three (3) academic work weeks, or fifteen (15) business days after the student first spoke with the faculty member regarding the academic decisions.

The process is as follows:

a. The student must first meet with the faculty member and discuss the faculty member’s decision. This meeting should occur as soon as possible after the decision has been made, normally within one week of the student being notified of the outcome. The faculty member is expected to listen to the student, to provide an explanation for his or her decision, and to be willing to change the grade or decision should the student’s argument be persuasive. To change final course grades, a faculty member must submit a “Grade Change Form” and attach an accompanying memorandum justifying the decision to change the grade. The faculty member’s department chair and dean must approve the change. Grade changes will not be accepted after one academic year.

b. If the faculty member refuses to alter his or her decision or grade, the student may then discuss the matter with the faculty member’s department chair or immediate academic supervisor (hereafter, “chair” will be used to mean either the department chair or the immediate academic supervisor). If the chair believes that the student’s claims may have merit, the chair would discuss the matter with the faculty member.

 c. If the student is not satisfied with the chair’s assessment of the issue or if the faculty member refuses to alter his or her decision after discussing it with the chair, the student may then request a review of the decision by the Dean.


Understand if a student has allegations of academic misconduct, they must go through the Academic Misconduct Process in a timely manner.

Back to Top

What should I put in the grievance?

The submitted grievance must contain the nature of the complaint and include a detailed statement of events – including dates, places, names and phone numbers of witnesses or those involved in the complaint. It is very important that all documentation and other evidence associated with the reports be included with the report, such as e-mails, witness reports, police reports, medical documents, etc.

If not enough information was included in the filed grievance to continue an investigation, OSRR will forward a request for more information to the complainant’s University email account.

Can more than one person file a complaint regarding the same incident/ community member?

Yes, more than one complaint can be filed regarding the same incident or community member. It is absolutely necessary that all reports be submitted as close to the incident as possible.

What happens once I file a grievance?

After a student files a grievance through Advocate, OSRR will review the grievance to verify that all applicable information is included. OSRR will communicate with the student through University email to confirm that the grievance was received and will forward all information to the correct departmental leadership.

 Please see the chart below for clarification of where grievances are forwarded to:

Grievances Involves:

Forwarded to:

Faculty Member

Chair of College (COB, COAS, or COE)

Campus Department/ Staff Member

Director of campus Department/ Division


OSRR will investigate

Alleged Conduct Violation

OSRR will investigate

After the grievance has been reviewed, OSRR shall send notice to all parties of the outcome(s), reason(s) for the decision, any remedies afforded, and notice of the appeals process. If the student is satisfied with the response, then the process will be considered closed and the file will be kept on record in the OSRR office.

If a student finds the response is unsatisfactory, the student has the option to appeal within five (5) university business days from the date the grievance response email was sent.

Please click on the following link to access the OSRR Student Grievance Process Flowchart.

Back to Top

How long does a grievance take to resolve?

After the grievance is received, the investigative period may last up to 30 business days; extenuating circumstances may cause the University to deviate from the defined time frames. OSRR will communicate with the student if the process will take longer than the defined time frame to investigate and find proper resolution.

Back to Top

How will I receive notifications regarding my grievance?

According to the Student Handbook, all university communications will be sent to the student’s University email address. It is the student’s responsibility to regularly check their University email for any updates or official University notification.

Back to Top

What if I do not agree with the resolution?

The complainant has the right to appeal any decision of the grievance within five (5) university business days from the date the grievance outcome email was sent. Those wishing to appeal their outcome need to submit a formal request in writing to the Director of the Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities. More information is included in the outcome email. If there is any new information and/ or documents regarding the same grievance, please include it in the appeal forms.

Back to Top

Who should I talk to if I have questions/ concerns?

For any questions relating to the Student Grievance or Student Conduct Process, please contact OSRR with the following information:

  • Phone: (210) 784-1377

  • Email: studentrr@tamusa.edu

  • Location: Main Campus at Senator Frank Madla Building, Room 125 or contact us through email at.