Jaguar Tracks is a series of four, one-credit hour, success seminars designed to help students discover their place on campus, in society, within their discipline, and their career.
Jaguar Tracks I
Course Description: The focus of this course is discovering students' place on campus where students will demonstrate knowledge of university services and resources, develop self-awareness and personal responsibility, and become active members of the campus community.
Learning Goals and Student Outcomes: The objective of UNIV 1101 is to help students discover their place on campus and gain the knowledge and skills necessary to achieve academic success, campus involvement, and community engagement. At the end of this course students will achieve the following goals and outcomes:
Goal 1: Student Success
- Identity and apply strategies to effectively manage time and priorities.
- Examine interests and strengths to discover possibilities for major and career paths.
Goal 2: Campus Involvement
- Participate in campus events to increase students' Jaguar Pride and connection to campus life.
- Identify and utilize campus resources and opportunities that support curricular and co-curricular development.
- Practice personal responsibility and build relationships with peers, faculty, and staff that contribute to a community.
Jaguar Tracks II
Course Description: The focus of this course is to demonstrate knowledge of diverse points of view and global perspective while students become active members of their community. You will apply this knowledge to your academic and career goals and be able to explain how awareness and knowledge of social identities, differing cultural backgrounds, and beliefs benefit how individuals live, learn, and work in diverse environments.
Learning Goals and Student Outcomes: The objective of UNIV 2102 is to demonstrate knowledge of diverse points of view and global perspective while students become active members of their community. At the end of this course students will achieve the following goals and outcomes:
Goal 1: Self-Discovery
- Articulate social identity(ies) and cultural background(s) and explain how these influence heir values, beliefs, and relationships.
- Explain learning goals and experiences and how it relates to future personal career goals.
Goal 2: Community Engagement
- Identify how marginalized identities are represented in the media and the impact those portrayals have on these groups.
- Explain how awareness and knowledge of social identities, different cultural backgrounds, and beliefs contribute to the way individuals live, learn, and work in diverse environments.
Goal 3: Global Citizenship
- Explain how assumptions of differing cultural backgrounds and marginalized identities have impacted your worldview.
- Make connections to how issues in the community are related nationally and globally.
Jaguar Tracks III
Course Description: In this course students will identify their skills, strengths, interests, and values as it relates to future career goals within their discipline. Students will volunteer in the community to gain transferable and direct skills to apply to future career goals. Through mock interviews, writing a professional and concise resume and cover letter, and researching professional organizations, students will be prepared to become active members of the community within their discipline.
Learning Goals and Student Outcomes: The objective of UNIV 3101 is for students to become active members of the broader community within their discipline. At the end of this course students will achieve the following goals and outcomes:
Goal 1: Career Discovery
- Identify personal strengths, interests, values, and skills.
- Research career paths and the skills or experiences needed in those careers to be successful.
- Develop strategies to effectively search and apply for jobs.
Goal 2: Finding a Profession
- Interview a professor or professional in a career of interest to gain further insight into the field.
- Demonstrate professionalism through volunteering in the community to develop skills that can be applied to future careers.
Goal 3: Entering the Profession
- Articulate your experience, education, and skills through resume and cover letter writing, interviewing, and networking.
- Write a professional thank you letter.
- Identify professional organization to join in order to further develop skills and knowledge of industry.
Jaguar Tracks IV
Course Description: The focus of this course is discovering students' place in a professional field where student will demonstrate knowledge of professional expectations and resources, demonstrate growth over their university experience, and become active members in their profession.
Learning Goals and Student Outcomes: The objective of UNIV 4101 is to support students in a successful transition from college to career. At the end of this course students will achieve the follow goals and outcomes:
Goal 1: Growth and Development
- Develop a vision of their future to include personal and career goals as well as exploring their ideal work environment.
- Explore a variety of career options or graduate school programs to consider for their future after graduation.
Goal 2: Entering the Profession
- Research, analyze, and compare various occupations and graduate school options for the future.
- Write a professional development plan for post-graduation to focus on goals, skills to strengthen and acquire, lifelong learning options, networking, and additional experiences.