Izzat Alsmadi is an Assistant Professor in the department of computing and cyber security at the Texas A&M, San Antonio. He has his master and PhD in Software Engineering from North Dakota State University in 2006 and 2008. He has more than 100 conference and journal publications. His research interests include: Cyber intelligence, Cyber security, Software security, software engineering, software testing, social networks and software defined networking. He is lead author, editor in several books including: Springer The NICE Cyber Security Framework Cyber Security Intelligence and Analytics, 2019, Practical Information Security: A Competency-Based Education Course, 2018, Information Fusion for Cyber-Security Analytics (Studies in Computational Intelligence), 2016. The author is also a member of The National Initiative for Cybersecurity Education (NICE) group, which meets frequently to discuss enhancements on cyber security education at the national level.
- PI: (Izzat Alsmadi and Jeong Yang) AGCoders: Build a Campus-Wide Code Development Community, Texas A&M, San Antonio SEED Grant, 2018, $50K.
- PI, (Izzat Alsmadi, Mike O’brien, Tracy Hurley and Akhtar Lodgher), Social Media & Digital Marketing: A Research Collaboration, 2017-2018: $15K.
- CO-PI: NSF SaTC-EDU 1522847: Developing a Software Artifact Repository for Software Assurance Education: Dianxiang Xu, Boise State University: PI and Izzat Alsmadi: CO-PI, NSF DGE 1522847, $300,000, September 2015 – August 2017.
- NSF “REU Site: Software Security,” PI: Dianxiang Xu, Co-PI: Jyh-haw Yeh, Izzat Alsmadi. 3/01/2015 – 2/28/2018, $324,000.
- Co-PI, Measuring Jordanian Hospitals' Efficiency through Mining Development Analysis, Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research of Jordan, $45,000, 2009-2010.
- Postdoc Fellowship, Avempace (European Grants), Bonn Rhein Sieg University of Applied Sciences in Sankt Augustin, Germany, 2012-2013.
SELECTED JOURNAL PUBLICATIONS
1. Alsmadi I., Al-Abdullah M. (2019) Testing Assessment of Group Collaborations in OSNs. In: Agarwal N., Dokoohaki N., Tokdemir S. (eds) Emerging Research Challenges and Opportunities in Computational Social Network Analysis and Mining. Lecture Notes in Social Networks. Springer, Cham
2. Izzat Alsmadi, Cyber Security Education Based on NICE Framework: Issues and Challenges, ISACA Journal, 2018, accepted for publication, https://www.isaca.org/Journal/archives/2018/Volume-4
3. Abdulrahman Al-Molegi, Antoni Martínez-Ballesté, Izzat Alsmadi, Regions-of-interest discovering and predicting in smartphone environments, Pervasive and Mobile Computing, Elsevier, 2018.
4. Izzat Alsmadi, Khreishah Abdallah, Xu Dianxiang, Network slicing to improve multicasting in HPC clusters, Cluster Computing, Pages:1-14, Springer, 2018.
5. A. Aleroud, I. Alsmadi, Identifying cyber-attacks on software defined networks: An inference-based intrusion detection approach, Journal of Network and Computer Applications, Volume 80, 15 February 2017, Pages 152–164.
6. Anis Zarrad, Izzat Alsmadi, Evaluating network test scenarios for network simulators systems, International Journal of Distributed Sensor Network, 13, 10, 2017.
7. Izzat Alsmadi, Said Bettayeb, Protein interaction based features' extraction, International Journal of Bioinformatics Research and Applications, 13(3), 2017.
8. Mohammed Akour, Izzat Alsmadi, Iyad Alazzam, Software fault proneness prediction: a comparative study between bagging, boosting, and stacking ensemble and base learner methods, International Journal of Data Analysis Techniques and Strategies , 9, 1, 2017.
9. Izzat Alsmadi, The Integration of Access Control Levels Based on SDN, International Journal of High Performance Computing and Networking, v.9 n.4, p.281-290, January 2016.
10. Ahmed Aleroud and Izzat Alsmadi, Identifying DoS Attacks on
Software Defined Networks : A Relation Context Approach, NOMS 2016 - 2016 IEEE/IFIP Network Operations and Management Symposium, IEEE, 2016. doi:10.1109/noms.2016.7502914. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/noms.2016.7502914.
11. Al-Kabi M. N., Al-Ayyoub M. A., Alsmadi I. M., Wahsheh H. A. (2016). A Prototype for a Standard Arabic Sentiment Analysis Corpus, The International Arab Journal of Information Technology (IAJIT), 13, No. 1A, Pages: 163:170, 2016.
12. Izzat Alsmadi and Dianxiang Xu, Security of Software Defined Networks: A Survey, Computers and Security, Computers & Security 53 (2015): 79-108.
13. Al-Ayyoub, Mahmoud, Safa Bani Essa, and Izzat Alsmadi. "Lexicon-based sentiment analysis of arabic tweets." International Journal of Social Network Mining 2.2 (2015): 101-114.
14. Al-Kabi, M. N., Kazakzeh, S. A., Ata, B. M. A., Al-Rababah, S. A., & Alsmadi, I. M. (2015). A novel root based Arabic stemmer. Journal of King Saud University-Computer and Information Sciences, 27(2), 94-103.
15. Izzat Alsmadi and Ikadm Al, Hami, Clustering and Classification of Email Contents, Journal of King Saud University Computer and Information Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 27, Issue 1, January 2015, pp. 46–57.
16. Al-Kabi M., Alsmadi I., Wahsheh H. Evaluation of Spam Impact on Arabic Websites Popularity, Journal of King Saud University - Computer and Information Sciences, Elsevier, Journal of King Saud University-Computer and Information Sciences 27.2 (2015): 222-229.
17 .Hanandeh, F. A., Alsmadi, I., Al-Shannag, M. Y., & Al-Daoud, E. (2015). Mobile agents modelling using UML. International Journal of Business Information Systems, 19(4), 419-432.
18. Alsmadi, Izzat, Hassan Najadat, and Ibrahim Al-Oqily. "Evaluating the importance of the weight factors in DEA optimisation." International Journal of Data Science 1.2 (2015): 172-188.
19. Hussein AlNabulsi, Izzat Alsmadi, Mohammad AlJarrah, Textual Manipulation for SQL Injection Attacks, International Journal of Computer Network and Information Security (IJCNIS), pp. 26-33, 2014.
20. Mohammad Dabbour, Izzat Alsmadi, and Emad Alsukhni, Efficient Assessment and Evaluation for Websites Vulnerabilities Using SNORT, International Journal of Security and its Applications, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 7–16, 2013.
21. Mohammad Al-Ramahi, Iyad AlAzzam and Izzat Alsmadi, The Impact of Using Pair Programming: A Case Study, International Journal of Teaching and Case Studies, Inderscience, 4, no.4, pp. 313 – 329, 2013.
22. Izzat Alsmadi, Using Mutation to Enhance GUI Testing Coverage, IEEE Software, vol. 30 no. 1, pp. 67–73, 2013.
23. Yahya Tashtoush, Aisha Zaidan and Izzat Alsmadi, Implications for Websites Trust and Credibility Assessment, The International Journal of E-Entrepreneurship and Innovation (IJEEI), vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 17–33, 2012.
24. Heider A. Wahsheh, Mohammed N. Al-Kabi, and Izzat Alsmadi, A Link and Content Hybrid Approach for Arabic Web Spam Detection, International Journal of Intelligent Systems and Applications, MECS, 2012.
25. Izzat Alsmadi, Ahmed AlEroud, Toward Security Test Automation for Event Driven GUI Web Contents, International Journal of Computer Network and Information Security (IJCNIS), pp. 19–25, 2012.
26. Mohammed Al-Kabi, Heider Wahsheh, Izzat Alsmadi, Emad Al-Shawakfa, Abdullah Wahbeh and Ahmed Al-Hmoud, Content Based Analysis to Detect Arabic Web Spam, Journal of Information Science JIS, April, 19, 2012.
27. Ikdam Alhami, and Izzat Alsmadi, Automatic Code Homework Grading Based on Concept Extraction, International Journal of Software Engineering and Its Applications IJSEIA, vol. 5, no. 4, 2011.
28. Izzat Alsmadi, and Hassan Najadat, Evaluating the Change of Software Fault Behavior with Dataset Attributes Based on Categorical Correlation, Advance Engineering Software, Elsevier, vol. 42, no. 8, pp. 535–546, 2011.
29. Ahmad Al-Eroud, Mohammed AlRamahi, Mohammed AlKabi, Izzat Alsmadi, and Emad Shawakfa, Evaluating Google Queries Based On Language Preferences, Journal of Information Science (JIS), vol. 37, no. 3, 2011.
30. Muhammad Tubeishat, Izzat Alsmadi, and Muhammad Al-Kabi, Using XML for User Interface Documentation and Differential Evaluation, Journal of Theoretical and Applied Information Technology, JATIT, vol. 21, no. 2, 2010.
31. Izzat Alsmadi, and Mohammed Al-Kabi, The Introduction of Several GUI Structural Metrics to Make Test Automation More Effective. Open Software Engineering Journal, pp. 72–77, 2009.
32. Izzat Alsmadi, Mamoun Alazab, A Model Based Approach for the Extraction of Network Forensic Artifacts, IEEE Cybersecurity and Cyberforensics Conference (CCC), 2017, UK, Pages: 16-18.
33. Majdi Maabreh, Basheer Qolomany, James Springstead, Izzat Alsmadi, Ajay Gupta, Deep vs. shallow learning-based filters of MS/MS spectra in support of protein search engines, 2017 IEEE International Conference on Bioinformatics and Biomedicine (BIBM).
34. Majdi Maabreh, Basheer Qolomany, Izzat Alsmadi, Ajay Gupta, Deep learning-based MSMS spectra reduction in support of running multiple protein search engines on cloud, IEEE Bioinformatics and Biomedicine (BIBM), 2017 IEEE International Conference on
35. Mohammad Akour, Izzat Alsmadi, Mamoun Alazab, The malware detection challenge of accuracy, IEEE 2016 2nd International Conference on Open Source Software Computing (OSSCOM), 2016.
36. Jin-Hee Cho, Izzat Alsmadi, Dianxiang Xu, Privacy and Social Capital in Online Social Networks, Global Communications Conference (GLOBECOM), 2016 IEEE Pages: 1-7, 12/04/2016.
37. Izzat Alsmadi, Samer Khamaiseh and Dianxiang Xu, Network Parallelization in HPC Clusters, The 2016 international conference on computational science and computational intelligence, Dec. 2016, Las Vegas.
38. Izzat Alsmadi, Dianxiang Xu and Jin-Hee Cho, Interaction-Based Reputation Model in Online Social Networks, ICISSP 2016, Roma, Italy.
39. Izzat Alsmadi, Milson Munakami and Dianxiang Xu, Model-Based Testing of SDN Firewalls: A Case Study, Proceedings of The Second International Conference on Trustworthy Systems and Their Applications, (TSA’15), Taiwan, July 2015.
40. Feras Hanandeh, Izzat Alsmadi and Muhammad M. Kwafha, Evaluating Alternative Structures for Prefix Trees, Proceedings of the World Congress on Engineering and Computer Science, vol. I, 22-24 October, 2014, San Francisco, USA.
41. Anis Zarrad, Abdulaziz Aljaloud and Izzat Alsmadi, Using Big Data Methods in Opinion Mining and Sentimental Analysis, 2nd International Workshop on Big Data and Social Networking Management and Security, BDSN-2014, London, UK.
42. Hisham Almubaid and Izzat Alsmadi, Predicting Protein Subcellular Localization with Reduced Feature set, BICoB 2014, Las Vegas, USA.
43. Khasawneh R., Wahsheh H., AL-Kabi, M., Alsmadi I., Sentiment Analysis of Arabic Social Media Content: A Comparative Study, 1st International workshop on Big Data and Social Networking Management and Security (BDSN-2013), December 9-12, 2013, London, UK.
44. Ahmed F. Aleroud, Izzat M. Alsmadi, Ahmad I. Alaiad, and Qasem A. Al-Radaideh, The Effects of Neural Networks Training Factors on Stock Price Prediction Errors, In proceedings of IASTED 2012, Human-Computer Interaction HCI 2012, USA.
45. Ahmad Eyadat and Izzat Alsmadi, Automatic Coverage Evaluation for a Medical Expert System, ITNG, Ninth International Conference on Information Technology - New Generations, pp. 867-872, Las Vegas, USA, 2012.
46. Hassan Najadat and Izzat Alsmadi, An Interactive DEA Management Based System for Hospitals, In proceedings of International MultiConference of Engineers and Computer Scientists, IMECS, Vol II, 16-18 March 2011, Hong Kong.
47. Izzat Alsmadi, Ahmad T. Al-Taani, and Nahed Abu Zaid, Web Structural Metrics Evaluation, In Proceedings of the Third International Conference on Developments in eSystems Engineering DESE 2010, UK.
48. Izzat Alsmadi, Using Genetic Algorithms for Test Case Generation and Selection Optimization, CCECE, IEEE Canadian Conference on Electrical and Computer Engineering, 2010, Calgary, Alberta, Canada.
49. Hassan Najadat, Mohammed Aref Diab, Izzat Alsmadi, A General Domain Application for Implementing the Case-Based Reasoning, In Proceedings of International Conference of Software Engineering and Computer Systems, ICSECS '09, 19 - 21 October 2009, Pahang, Malaysia.
50. Izzat M. Alsmadi, and Mahmoud Dieri, Separation of Concerns in Teaching Software Engineering. CISSE 2009. USA.
51. Izzat Alsmadi, and Mohammed Al-Kabi, Using Metrics to Evaluate User Interfaces Automatically, SMEF 2009, Italy, 2009.
52. Izzat Alsmadi, The Utilization of User Sessions in Testing. In Proceedings of the Seventh IEEE/ACIS International Conference on Computer and Information Science (ICIS 2008), May 2008, Portland, Oregon. USA.
53. Magel and Izzat Alsmadi, GUI Structural Metrics and Testability Testing. Proceedings of IASTED, SEA 2007, Boston USA.
54. Dianxiang Xu, Izzat Alsmadi, and Weifeng Xu, Model Checking Aspect-Oriented Design Specification, In Proceedings of the 31st IEEE International Computer Software and Applications Conference (COMPSAC'07), Beijing, July 2007.
55. Izzat Alsmadi Kenneth Magel, GUI Path Oriented Test Generation Algorithms, In Proceedings of IASTED Human-Computer Interaction, March 14-16, Chamonix, France, pp. 216-219, 2007.
56. Izzat Alsmadi and Kenneth Magel, GUI test automation framework. SERP07, Las Vegas, 2007.
57. Izzat Alsmadi and Kenneth Magel, GUI Path Oriented Test Generation, SETP07, Orlando, Florida. 2007.
58. Izzat Alsmadi and Kenneth Magel, Open source evolution analysis. In Proceedings of 22nd IEEE International Conference on Software Maintenance (ICSM'06), Philadelphia, PA, Sept. 24 to 27, 2006, pp. 276-278.
BOOKS (Editor or first author)
Izzat Alsmadi, The NICE Cyber Security Framework Cyber Security Intelligence and Analytics, 2019
Izzat Alsmadi and Robert Burdwell and others, Practical Information Security: A Competency-Based Education Course, Jan 30, 2018, Springer
Izzat M Alsmadi and George Karabatis, Information Fusion for Cyber-Security Analytics (Studies in Computational Intelligence), Springer, Oct 21, 2016.
Izzat Alsmadi (editor), Advanced Automated Software Testing: Frameworks for Refined Practice, Jan 31, 2012, IGI.
- Faculty judge in several high schools STEM competitions in San Antonio for STEM schools such as John Jay and Robert Lee High schools.
- Member of several Cyber security organizations such as: NIST NICE, ISSA, etc.
- ACM member
- Faculty advisor for several cyber security competitions including: Panoply, CCDC, Capture the Flag (CTF), etc.
- Faculty mentor for High schools Cyber Patriot teams/competitions.
View Faculty Name CV