Tax Information

Filing Taxes as an International Student - Understanding your U.S. Tax Obligations

International students are required to file a U.S. tax return even if you do not have U.S. source income. There is no minimum dollar amount of income that triggers a filing requirement for a for a foreign student.

If you receive U.S. source income; including wages, a taxable scholarship or fellowship grant, you will likely have federal tax withheld from your checks (unless you benefit from a tax treaty.)

If you are employed by the Texas A&M University-San Antonio and have questions about your automatic tax withholdings, please contact the Payroll Services: Ms. Sheryl Cornett: .

The tax year runs from January 1 to December 31.Tax returns are filed in the spring of the following year with a mid-15th April 2019 deadline.

Important note: The staff at OIA are not trained in taxation, and therefore cannot answer specific tax questions or help you prepare your tax forms. Ultimately, it is your responsibility to meet your tax obligations and do so accurately. The above information is not a legal advice it is information provided to you. U.S. tax laws can be complex and confusing. Laws that apply to international students are not the same as those that apply to U.S. citizens.


Turbo Tax

H&R Block



This information is meant to be a general introduction. We are not tax professionals, so this cannot be considered legal tax advice.

We suggest you review the information from the IRS specifically addressed to foreign students and scholars.