In situations where a student’s parents are divorced, a student should use the information of the parent with whom the student lived the most in the past 12 months. If the student did not live with either parent, or live with each parent an equal number of days, use the parent that provided the most financial support over the past 12 months. If that parent has remarried, the step-parent’s financial information must also be included on the application. In situations where a student’s parents’ are separated and divorce proceedings are in progress, an appointment to speak with a financial aid officer is recommended.

If a couple lives together and has not been formally married but meets the criteria in their state for a common-law marriage, they should be reported as married on the application. The most common declaration of common law marriage is filing a married filing joint 1040, 1040A, or a married filing separate 1040, 1040A.

It depends on specific criteria regarding your status. For more information, visit

In addition to accepting loans online through JagWire, students must also complete Entrance Counseling and a Master Promissory Note online at If students are unsure if they have completed these requirements, they can log into for confirmation. Be sure that Texas A&M San Antonio is listed as the school choice.

No, financial aid funds never transfer from institution to institution; as each school has a different cost of attendance, program requirements, available funds, and other requirements that may affect eligibility. Only FAFSA information can be transferred.

Students CANNOT receive aid from more than one institution at a time. Students attending A&M-SA, and wanting to take additional classes at ACCD may be eligible for additional financial aid if certain criteria is met, by submitting a completed Consortium Agreement (available at the Welcome Center) prior to the deadline.

The student will be responsible for paying tuition and fees at the ACCD. Once enrollment is verified at both institutions, the revision process to increase the amount of Pell and/or direct loans will be initiated if eligible; and any additional financial aid will be disbursed after mid-term. Flex Courses are not eligible for funding.

Students who receive financial aid at both schools will have their financial aid delayed, revised or canceled. It is the student’s responsibility to cancel any other aid awarded. A student will have to pay any outstanding balance at A&M-SA due to any financial aid revision.

In most cases, a minimum of 6 credit hours is required to be eligible for financial aid. Enrollment for student teaching is 6 credit hours at A&M-SA. If a student still has eligibility, financial aid will be available for student-teaching, provided it meets the criteria.

Once admitted into the Graduate Program, a student may submit a Financial Aid Revision Request (FARR) form (available at the Welcome Center or online), requesting financial aid be reinstated for the following term as a graduate student. Graduate students are only eligible for unsubsidized loans and certain scholarships. Changes in grade level will impact grants and scholarships designated for undergraduate students only. Students should complete the exit loan counseling to comply with the Department of Education requirement and be eligible for continued financial aid.

The Hazlewood Exemption can be used in conjunction with financial aid (grants, loans, scholarships and work-study). However, this exemption must fit within the Cost of Attendance (COA). If financial aid has already disbursed or awarded at the time the Hazlewood exemption is approved, adjustments may be made to the financial aid award (grants, loans, scholarships and work-study) to accommodate this exemption.