Graduation Services

pink tile
yellow tile

Frequently Asked Questions

  • What is the difference between graduation and commencement?

    Graduation is the process of being awarded a degree by completing all required degree requirements. Commencement and the ceremonies are the services held at the end of each fall and spring semester. These are ceremonies in which the achievement of the degree is recognized and celebrated by the University community and the students' friends and family. Participating in the commencement ceremony does not infer graduation, as all degree requirements need to be met before the degree can be awarded.
  • Is there an application fee?

    Yes. The graduation application fee for Bachelor's or Master's is $50.00. **Please note that the graduation application fee is non-refundable. If you withdraw your graduation application and submit another application, you will be responsible for the application fee again. Failure to pay off your balance will result in a hold with the University and diplomas and transcripts will not be released until the holds have been cleared.
  • Where do I pay the graduation application fee?

    The application fee is added to your student billing statement as soon as you submit the application and you may pay the graduation fee at the Student Business Services Office or online via Money Connect. Please note failure to pay off your balance will result in a hold with the University and diplomas and transcripts will not be released until the holds have been cleared.
  • When will I get my diploma? When will my degree be posted on my transcript?

    Diplomas will be available eight to ten working weeks after the official close of the term in which you have graduated. This time frame does not include holidays. An email will go out once diplomas have either been mailed out or ready for pick up on campus. Transcripts will be updated with the degree awarded within 3-4 weeks after the end of the semester in which you graduate in. The end of the semester date is the official date posted on the Academic Calendar, not the last date of your classes/finals.
  • What is on my diploma, and what are the dimensions of my diploma?

    Effective Spring '23 and forward only: Undergraduate and Graduate level diplomas will display your legal name (or preferred name if you have declared one), degree type (Ex: Bachelor or Arts/Master of Arts), and the major you have completed (Ex: Bachelor or Arts, Political Science/Master of Arts, Biology). Undergraduate students diplomas will also notate Latin Honors if applicable. All diplomas are 11" X 14" only.
  • How do I qualify for University Honors?

    University honors are applicable to undergraduate students only, and must meet a certain institutional GPA range to qualify. Please refer to the Honors link on the Graduation Services Website for the required grade point average. (University Honors is only for Undergraduates)
  • What if I want to purchase an additional diploma or reorder a diploma?

    Diplomas can now be ordered from your Parchment accounts! You can login to your Parchment account and request a duplicate diploma to be mailed out directly to you or a recipient you designate. Reorders are $25 and are processed at the end of every month. Please note exact duplicates of your diploma are not possible to obtain. All diploma reorders will be fulfilled with the current names and positions held as of now (Ex: if the University President has changed since your degree was awarded, your diploma will reflect the current President of the University).
  • If I have a University Hold will my diploma be issued?

    No, if you have a University Hold your diploma will not be released. You may view your holds in Jagwire. Once holds have been cleared, please contact us at so we can make arrangements to release your diploma.
  • If I apply for graduation but do not graduate, can I move my graduation application to the next semester?

    You are able to submit a change request in your Jagwire account to move your graduation application. Please note that you are only able to move the application once. If you need to move it a second time, you will need to withdraw your graduation application and submit a new application for the semester you intend to graduate in. You will be responsible for all fees associated, and they are non-refundable.
  • Is there a summer commencement ceremony? When will my degree be awarded if I am a summer graduate?

    Please note that there is no summer commencement ceremony. Summer candidates have the opportunity to participate in the spring or fall commencement ceremony. Applications submitted for summer have specific deadlines to be included in either the spring or fall ceremonies, so be sure to check our website for the dates. Degrees for summer graduation candidates will not be awarded until the end of the entire summer semester when the second 5-week and 10-week sessions have ended. Final degree audits will then be completed and the awarding process can take 2-3 weeks after the end of the semester.
  • How many guests are we allowed to invite to the ceremony? Do we need tickets for guests? Can I make arrangements for my guests who need accommodations?

    So long as we have the ceremony at the Freeman Coliseum, there is no limit to the amount of guests you may invite, and they will not need tickets to enter. Do note that the Freeman does charge a $10 parking fee for guests. Seating is on a first come first served basis, however as guests enter, they may check in with the ushers for assistance.
  • I selected undecided or not attending while completing the graduation application, but I want to attend. What do I need to do?

    We account for all graduates to attend the ceremony, regardless of what was answered on the application, so no action is needed to attend.